Friday, March 25, 2011

Really? To mow the lawn?

So we have decided to rent out our home in NC. We did a lot of cleaning and repairing before we left. That paid off because there are only a couple things to be done after 3 months of not being there. Fixing the smoke alarm, cleaning the refrigerator and mowing the lawn. The rental people tell me that people charge $65 to mow our lawn? Really? I know we have a pretty big back yard but it can't be that bad! We just got over winter! In addition, we paid a lady $125 to clean our house (sweeping, mopping, clearing cobwebs, cleaning the appliances) after we left. Someone, either her or the realtor, closed the fridge door when there was still moisture and now there's a bunch of mold all in the bottom of it! Arguh!!!! Stupid little things. But at least we are hoping it rents out fast. We are sending the repairs/cleaning money so they can get it all taken care of and start showing it.
I feel a bit apprehensive about this renting thing. I know we set aside money for 2 mortgage payments if no one rents it. I am worried about if something big happens like we have to replace a water heater or there's massive water damage or the AC breaks. We don't really have that much money to fix, but as landlords we would have to do that. Plus what if we get people in there that really tear it up? I know there is a security deposit, but what if the cost to repair damages is more than their deposit?? I just wish we could have sold it, it would be much easier.
Another side of renting our home out is how will this affect our taxes next year? So much to think about. I mean J and I have thought a lot about it and we've asked many questions. But anything can go wrong - then what? I'm having trouble not knowing what is going to happen with this situation. Oh well, life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment